Yup, I really, really dislike eggs. I always have. Everything from the smell to the taste, there is just something that completely turns me off. Unfortunately for me, eggs for breakfast were a regular part of Sunday morning growing up. Let me tell you, those mornings were stressful until my Mom finally learned that I wasn’t being stubborn, I really didn’t like eggs!
So why then a post about eggs? Well, I was looking for things to do with leftover ham after Easter and was getting tired of ham soup and ham sandwiches. My husband likes eggs and is always looking for something for breakfast that is high in protein to help him get through the morning. So, I decided to experiment and came up with these cute little egg muffins.
They really are super easy to make and a great way to use up leftover vegetables and meat. They freeze well and make a great sandwich or quick breakfast when you are on the run.
I’m not sure if it is the saltiness of the ham or the milk and cheese, but even I liked these!
Egg and Ham Muffins
- ½ cup diced onions sautéed
- 6 eggs
- ½ cup whole milk
- 1 cup ham thinly sliced and diced
- 1 cup chopped broccoli
- 1 cup shredded smoked cheddar cheese divided
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Spray or grease a 12 cup muffin tin.
- Saute onions in a medium saute pan.
- Whisk eggs in a large bowl. Add milk and whisk until well combined and mixture is light in color.
- Stir in ham, broccoli and ½ cup of the cheese
- Place ~ ¼ cup of the mixture in each muffin tin. Sprinkle each with 1-2 tsp. of the remaining cheese.
- Bake for 25- 30 minutes, until firm and the tops are brown.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool for ~ 5minutes. Then remove from the muffin tin and transfer to a plate to continue to cool or serve immediately.
- If you want to freeze these, wrap them individually in plastic wrap. They will last 2 months in the freezer.